Tulsa General & Preventative Dentistry
At Southard Dental, our Tulsa dentist Dr. Southard is a proponent of preventative dentistry, and an experienced general dentist. When patients have healthy oral hygiene habits and attend regular six-month dental checkups, potential oral health issues can be diagnosed and addressed while they’re still minor – or even in time for them to be reversed.
What To Expect From Dental Cleanings And Exams
Dental cleanings and exams are the most important aspect of preventative dentistry. Here is what you can expect from your dental cleaning at Southard Dental:
- Deep Brushing and Polishing – Using powerful brushes and fluoride toothpaste, your dental hygienist will thoroughly clean the surface of your teeth, removing bacteria, plaque, and tartar. Your teeth will be polished to remove surface stains, and keep them looking bright and healthy.
- Tooth Scraping and Plaque Removal – Using scrapers, your hygienist will remove difficult, hard-to-reach tartar and plaque, which reduces the risk of tooth decay and periodontal disease.
- Tooth Decay Assessment – If potential areas of decay are noticed, your hygienist will use probes and tools to determine the health of a tooth, and whether or not a cavity is present.
- Periodontal Disease Assessment – Your gums will be checked for health, and to ensure that you are free of periodontal disease.
- Flossing – Your hygienist will floss your teeth, ensuring that the hard-to-reach plaque that lives between teeth is removed.
- Fluoride treatments – A fluoride treatment may be recommended if you are at risk of tooth decay.
- Dental Sealants – Dental sealants are made from a special plastic, and applied to the molars and other teeth that may be at risk of tooth decay. The plastic coating helps prevent buildup of bacteria and food particles, reducing the risk of developing cavities.
- X-rays – X-rays are usually taken every year or two at an oral exam, to ensure that your mouth is free from periodontal disease, tumors, teeth shifting, and other common oral problems.
- Oral Cancer Screening – An oral cancer screening may be performed if you are over the age of 40, or are a tobacco user. Dr. Southard will look for any potential signs of oral cancer, such as lesions or discolored patches of tissue.
Get Preventative Dentistry In Tulsa Today – Come To Southard Dental!
If you need a preventative dentist in Tulsa, Dr. Wrany Southard is a great choice. With comprehensive oral exams and regular teeth cleanings, we can keep your mouth healthy with preventative dentistry in Tulsa. Contact us for an appointment today at (918) 294-1144, or visit our office in Tulsa at (918) 294-1144.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_empty_space][/vc_column][/vc_row]